Sunday, March 2, 2014

One Word (and Maybe More)

Last year I discovered a concept that's been around for a few years now, called "One Word." I've seen a couple of variations on it, but the main gist is that instead of New Year's resolutions, you choose one word to reflect the changes you'd like to make for the upcoming new year. I did come up with a word for 2013, fulfill...but I didn't really focus on it the whole year like you're "supposed" to. I don't think I ever really told anyone about it, either. Apparently, you're supposed to make it public, too.

For 2014, I thought I'd try again, though. According to the things I've read about this idea, you either choose the word, based on what you'd like to see changed, or you just "happen" upon it, and you know that's your word. So, I thought about it a bit as 2013 was ending, and I first thought of the word "focus." I figured I could work more on being focused since I have a tendency to be disorganized and distracted at times. But, as I continued to ponder, I realized a bigger need that I have...one that not only my husband has expressed for the last 7 years, but my father has, too for at least 30 years. So, it's a pretty big undertaking, I guess. But I have a big tendency to take things too seriously, so I decided that the word "light" was going to be my word for 2014.

Then, I thought about the word "enjoy." I thought about how I need to enjoy life more, and along with that, to be more content. But then I felt like that may seem too flippant, so I went back to "light."

I started off by looking up the definitions in order to figure exactly where I wanted to go with this, because I know that words with multiple meanings can provide a fuller experience. I'm going to share a few of these definitions that I've liked in order to state what I'd like to see. 

1) not very profound or serious; amusing or entertaining

Well, that's pretty much in line with what I'd like to do...not take things so seriously, lighten up. Obviously, in important things, I will still be serious, but the things that don't matter as much, I'd like to be lighter. 

2) free from trouble, sorrow, or worry; carefree

That's even better, and that's in line with my faith. Yeah, I'm going to have troubles, but they don't have to weigh me down, because I believe that God is in control. I'm supposed to cast my cares on God. In Matthew, Jesus tells the tired and burdened to come to Him, for his yoke is easy and His burden is light.

3) a gleam or sparkle, as in the eyes
and 4) to cause to brighten, especially with joy, animation, or the like

I put those together, because that's a related (but also desired) component of what change I'd like to make. (See why you want a word with multiple meanings?) A bit about me...I'm not a very outgoing person, but I am nice (at least, I consider myself that way) if you reach out to me. I like to have friends, but I'm not always the best at reaching out, which in a sense, I guess, makes me unfriendly. But I want to be friendly. And part of the way to do that, is just with a smile. And to light up my face more. 

5) spiritual illumination or awareness; enlightenment

I definitely could use some of this in 2014. I'd just like to see some changes in certain circumstances in my family's life, but I want to know that it's what God has for us. I think about a book by Stormie Omartian, that I read a few years ago, called "Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On." I'm only going to be given a little direction at a time, so that I keep following God. 

But, that's it...my word for 2014. (Although, I do think "enjoy" also gets at some things that I think I need to remember...such as being content and just enjoying the people and things I've been given, so maybe I'll go against the "rules" and do Two Words.)

No comments:

Post a Comment